In January 1827, the Grand Lodge of Ohio approved a request from Eastern Star Lodge:
That Eastern Star Lodge #55, be permitted to meet for the purpose of working as a Lodge, alternately at Miamisburg, in the county of Montgomery, and at Franklin, in the county of Warren, during the pleasure of this Grand Lodge. This was the first reference by the Grand Lodge to Masons meeting in Miamisburg.
The next mention of Miamisburg was in the 1829 Grand Communication where, on a motion, the
proceedings and Dispensations of Miamisburg Lodge, Minerva Lodge, Newark Lodge, and Vienna Lodge were referred to the committee on Charters and Dispensations. Right Worshipful Brother (RWB) John H James, the Grand Senior Warden, found that the by-laws of
Miamisburgh Lodge had been
drawn in conformity with the laws and resolutions of the Grand Lodge.
Brother William Derickson traveled to the Grand Lodge Communication in 1830 and brought back the first charter. Somewhere in that time, Miamisburg Lodge became
Minerva. The original Lodge operated until 1836 when the charter was surrendered following the pressure on Freemasonry caused by the
Morgan Incident in New York.
In 1843, brethren in Miamisburg met and decided to reform the Lodge. They met in a third-floor room owned by Isaac Treon, then moved to the Hoff Block in the 1850s. In 1901, the Lodge bought the Methodist Episcopal Church building on South Second Street. The Grand Lodge held a cornerstone ceremony in September 1902 and the apartments of the Temple were dedicated in April 1903. With its distinct Egyptian design, the Miamisburg Temple is one of the last buildings of its type in Ohio.
Minerva Lodge #98 meets on the second and fourth Thursday of every month, except July and August, at 7:30pm.
Past Masters of Minerva Click Here!